Thursday, October 7, 2010

Costumes, Part 1

I've finished the main part of one of the three costumes I'm making this year. Baby Ivy is going to be a monster, at her big sister's request. This turned out completely different than I originally had in mind, but I'm pretty sure it is better than my original plan.

The basic gist of how I did this was:

1. I traced a jumper of Ivy's for the general shape.
2. Cut two of each side out of this great lime fleece
3. Cut tentacles
4. Sewed the pieces together, wrong sides together with a hole left for turning it right side out. I left the hole in an area where I could easily hand stitch the pieces together since I didn't plan on topstitching them
5. Turned them right side out, using a wooden skewer to help with the tentacles
6. Hand sewed the tops of the front and back together, sewing in the straps
7. Hand appliqued the eye on-- this was easier than a standard applique because I used fleece and felt so I didn't have to worry about it unraveling
8. Hand sewed the front and back together.
9. Tried it on the baby

All in all, it took about 4 hours, not including the scrapped original plan that I started and gave up on. Not bad I don't think.

There are sure to be more finishing touches, but the main part is DONE and FITS. Now on to the main part of Lorelei's.

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome! And crafty in the best way. That is soooo cute.