Saturday, April 23, 2011

S is for...

swim
sink
sank
sunk
swami
silver...

Did you know that some people think taking collodial silver can keep you from getting sick and heal any number of diseases? It  can also turn you permanently grey! I have bad enough luck with medical side effects, I don't think I'll ever try it!


snow
silly
sign
spin
sustain
splash
sushi--- mmmm sushi.... had sushi last night. It was nom-erriffic.

Sweep

Sweet potato Sprouts

Sweet potatoes are super easy to sprout, and one potato can make enough sprouts to grow a bunch of plants.


Here's how I did these

1. Find a sweet potato that has been neglected a bit too long in the pantry. Make sure it has a few sprouts already.
2. Chop it up into about 6 pieces
3. Let the pieces dry out for a few days (depends on the humidity level... make sure they aren't wet to the touch before planting them)
4. Plant them in a shallow container of potting soil until the sprouts are big with roots coming off of them


5. Twist the sprouts off and plant! I got almost a dozen plants out of mine.

I planted mine in some pots on my patio because I was feeling cheap this year but wanted lots of green growing things. Obviously I won't get any harvest-able potatoes out of these small pots, but the foliage looks nice, and it's a lot cheaper than commercially grown sweet potato vines at over a buck a plant.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea how you got more potatoes from a sprouted potato, since you eat the root, I figured you'd just be digging up the potato you already had. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to know a lady who took that silver stuff. She was definitely grey. it was pretty weird looking.

    ReplyDelete